Thanks for Joining Me

My blog is here to bring hope and enjoyment to one and all. Just kidding. Its for me. I have a lot of crap running through my head and I need a place to stick it. So I'll stick it here. I hope to at least entertain you for a few hundred words.





Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some Good and Some Not

You will noticed linked items on my blog. Apparently if someone clicks one of the links on my blog and purchases the item from Amazon I get a 15% commission. Good for me? Sure. I love Amazon. I have never had issues with it.

Its my birthday today (Thank You, please hold the applause) and I figure I'll discuss some of the things I bought or were bought for me.

Last year for my birthday I got a 2-liter of Cherry Dr. Pepper. One of my favorite drinks. I do not know how to describe a drink other then yummy so I'll just give the rating of 8/10.

This year for my birthday I got the (360 version of) Batman Arkham Asylum: Game of the Year Platinum Hits. This game is pure awesome. Pretty much being the best superhero game I have ever played. Its a combination of Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed. My favorite part is the fact they used most of the important voice cast from Batman: The Animated Series, Vol. 1. Its a great deal for the price. 10/10

Working at Walmart I got a pretty decent discount. So I used that to purchase a Microsoft Xbox 360 Arcade - Game console. My old system had issues with the DVD driver. Its a pretty basic system so its nothing special but it was a cheap version. 7/10

I enjoy killing zombies in many games. The best one this year was Dead Rising 2. There are so many ways to kill and main that it never gets boring. So much to explore and destroy. I enjoyed the new weapon creation system. But I did miss the camera. 8.5/10

After playing Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition (10/10) for months I was looking forward to Fallout: New Vegas. But after playing it I do not this it had the same appeal. I played 3 for almost 200 hours and still felt I missed some stuff. After 70 hours of Vegas I felt I did everything. Sure I could go and do the story differently. But I didn't want to. Still fun but not as much. 7/10.

Fable III is the last game I am going to bring up for now. You know how they say lets save the best for last? Well I am not. This game has very little challenge and seems to be holding your hand 90% of the way through it. I did enjoy the simplified combat but thats about it. It promises hard choices but there are none. I think of it like Legend of Zelda for beginners. I blame the casual gamers. 5.5/10

I have watched many movies this year so I'll just throw 5 out. You will most likely notice that I have linked the Blu-ray and DVD Combos. I think they are the best value. Even if you do not have a blu-ray player yet.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) is by far my favorite summer movie this year. It did not do too well at the box office but for some reason Edgar Wright films haven't done well here. But the director of Shaun of the Dead [Blu-ray] (9.5/10) and Hot Fuzz (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray](9/10) has made himself another visually stunning film. Being a gamer, I can see so many of my old favorite game cliche's within. Its a romantic comedy for men and women. 9/10

Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) is a lesser movie then the original. The action scenes and RDJ are great. But they threw too much into it.

The Expendables (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) is an old school action movie. I disagree with some of the advertising of 8 or so old action heroes. Stallone, Statham, Li and Lundgren all make sense. Arnold and Willis have nice cameos but the rest aren't action heroes I grew up with. where is Wesley Snipes? Kurt Russell? Jean Claude Van Damme? But still it was a wonderfully thought out idea. And now it seems to be pretty cheap to purchase. 8/10

Piranha [Blu-ray 3D] is the type of movie I love. But its also a movie I am surprised would get made. It is an old school type of horror film. Its filled with nudity, gore and nonsense. Its Jaws for the ADD generation. I loved it and can't wait for another one. 8.5/10

And for my last Movie review I have to find something different then Action or Horror. Hot Tub Time Machine (Unrated) [Blu-ray] has its moments of greatness. Its not The Hangover (Unrated Edition) [Blu-ray] (7/10) but it was entertaining and worth seeing. I enjoyed the Hangover but I did not think of it as the greatest ever. HTTM is a solid 6/10. Even with a nice use of one of the 80's best bad guys.

So here are my ratings:
10/10 - Batman Arkham Asylum: Game of the Year Platinum Hits (360) / Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Greatest Hits (PS3)
10/10 - Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition (360) / Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition (PS3)
9.5/10 - Shaun of the Dead [Blu-ray]
9/10 - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
9/10 - Hot Fuzz (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]
8.5/10 - Dead Rising 2 (360) / Dead Rising 2 (PS3)
8.5/10 - Piranha [Blu-ray 3D]
8/10 - The Expendables (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
8/10 - Cherry Dr Pepper
7/10 - Fallout: New Vegas (360) / Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
7/10 - Microsoft Xbox 360 Arcade - Game console
7/10 - The Hangover (Unrated Edition) [Blu-ray]
6.5/10 - Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
6/10 - Hot Tub Time Machine (Unrated) [Blu-ray]
5.5/10 - Fable III

Everything on the list has its good and its bad. These are just my opinions. I do not want you to think if you enjoy something and I do not that makes any difference. This is just one man's opinion.

I think I'll be doing a review blog once a week. I'll review about 10 - 20 things. Any suggestions of items to review feel free to pass them along.

2 comments:

  1. No suggestions yet, but I like the idea of a once a week blog. You know the more people read your blog and the more popular it becomes, the more money you can actually make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I am not really doing it for the money. The site itself suggested it. And I went along with it.

    I'm going to talk about the stuff anyway. Might as well use it to my advantage where I can.

    And suggestions are always welcome. Even on topics for blogs not just stuff to review.

    ReplyDelete