Thanks for Joining Me

My blog is here to bring hope and enjoyment to one and all. Just kidding. Its for me. I have a lot of crap running through my head and I need a place to stick it. So I'll stick it here. I hope to at least entertain you for a few hundred words.





Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Softball Part 2: It Hurts

The past 2 years have not been easy for me. I was diagnosed with depression. I have lost my wife and home and I did nothing wrong. And that wa only a few weeks after we were discussing having children. One of the few things I have looked forward to in my life. I contemplated suicide a few times. I have moved at least 6 times. The only woman in my life that did not abuse me, leave me or get tired of me had a severe stroke while I was in the next room. So while dealing with softball this is what was going on in my mind and life.

I missed one doubleheader the last few years. That was because I was depressed. I needed some time to myself.

Now its a new season and I can't get a reply from half the people about softball. They don't care about the things I have gone through or the things I have done for them. And thats fine. I am getting used to selfish people.

When you joined the Wolves you became one of my boys.

- I have fought for you.
- I have been thrown out for you.
- I have told umpires to suck my balls for you.
- I have picked you up and taken you to and from games and practices.
- I have spent money out of MY pocket for you to play. Not counting my own league and ump fees I have spent over $300 in league fees, ump fees and forfeit fees.
- I have listened to you whine about hitting low in the order even when you couldn't get on half the time.
- I have listened to you tell me you do not want to hit last but then procede to go 2 for 7 the whole day.
- I have listened to you complain about your playing time even though you didn't show up last week.
- I have listened to you whine when I ask you to play RF. Or Catcher.
- I have seen you swing at ball 4 because you didn't want to walk.
- I have seen you hit a fly ball and walk 2 steps towards 1st base.
- I have heard you complain that I bat too high in the order.


And YOU don't want to play for ME???

I wonder why I want you to play for my TEAM. A teammate:
- fights for his team.
- gets thrown out for his team.
- tells umpires their wrong for his team.
- knows their responcibilities. Be it getting to games, calling if not playing and paying their part.
- earns their spot in the order.
- confidence is good. Ego is bad.
- earns their playing time and makes the most of it when they play.
- plays wherever they are needed.
- takes a walk.
- runs it out. Last season I had 4 hits on groundballs right back to the pitcher.
- gets on base.

I have worked hard to be a good teammate. Would I rather come to the plate 4 or 5 times and swing as hard as I can? Sure. But I want to win. A Teammate sacrifices for the good of the team. I can hit 2Bs and 3Bs. But I'd get on 50% of the time. Some of you might be happy with that. Not me. I get on 65% of the time and let my teammates knock me in. I will take a pitch. I will take a walk. If it helps the team I will bat last. Would I like to play every inning? Yup. But I will take myself out so someone else can get into the game.

This is softball. You don't need a speedy leadoff hitter when you can't steal bases. You want the people who get on the most near the top.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment